Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Beckon by Tom Pawlik Book Review

Sometimes in reviewing books, you find some really good ones. And then other times you run into a book that is just somewhat different. It is still good and a well written thriller, but the story is just out there. That is the case with this book here, Beckon, by Tom Pawlik. I normally do not read fantasy or sci-fi type stories. I hadn't even realized this was somewhat like that until I got partway into the story. I finished the book and it was well written, but I just want to warn you, this is a very different book.

Some things weren’t meant to be discovered. Three people are each drawn to the small town of Beckon, Wyoming. A young anthropologist researches a Native American legend and makes a terrifying discovery. An ex-cop investigating her cousin’s disappearance finds herself in grave peril. And an aging businessman is lured by the promise of a miracle. One by one they discover the town’s ghastly secret. The only question is . . . will any of them make it out alive?

MY REVIEW-Tom Pawlik is an author I had never heard of before. But when I saw the plot I thought it sounded interesting. I love a good mystery or suspense story and this one sounded like it would be neat. So I plunged into the book. It opens just fine and I got ready for a good mystery story about where the young mans father disappeared to, etc. But after that, it got kind of strange. These two young men find a guide to take them searching for the Soul Eater. A legend among the indians that they think might be true.

In this book you have people who have lived thousands of years without being discovered, people who drink a liquid from a spider that makes them live hundreds of years, giant spiders, death, murder, and tons of mystery. Now don't get me wrong, it is interesting. I read it through in one day. But I couldn't get past all the amazing things. I felt like I had stepped into Journey to the Center of the Earth. For anyone who has read that book, remember the giant creatures, huge mushrooms, etc? That is what this somewhat felt like, except it was in a dark manner. Several people die throughout the book and not in a nice way.

So, if you like a book that has mystery but not realistic, check this one out. I enjoyed reading it, just so long as I remembered it wasn't true. Highly interesting novel though!

I received a copy of this book for review through the Tyndale Blog Network. I did not receive any monetary compensation. All thoughts are 100% mine.

1 comment:

kymom13 said...

Sounds interesting...kinda weird, actually. Doesn't sound like my kind of book to read but thank you for a review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...