Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Review of The Promise of Morning by Ann Shorey

Promise of Morning from Ann Shorey takes readers to Beldon Grove on the frontier in the 1840s. Life isn’t easy here. For Ellie Craig, the graves of her three infant children make it unbearably lonely, despite the love of her husband Matthew. When she uncovers a family secret that suggests she may not be as alone as she thought, Ellie is determined to find the truth. Meanwhile, Matthew Craig faces controversy in the church he pastors when a man arrives in town claiming to be both a minister and the son of the town's founder. Will Matthew find the courage to reclaim his church? Or will he return to itinerant preaching, leaving Ellie even more alone than before? Book 2 in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, The Promise of Morning will touch your soul with themes of overcoming tragedy, finding strength to meet daunting challenges, and trusting your heart to love again.

Ann Shorey is the author of The Edge of Light and has published selections in the Cup of Comfort series and in Chicken Soup for the Grandma's Soul

My thoughts: First off, I have not read the first book in this series so I am coming into the middle of the story. There were a couple things that were mentioned I knew nothing of. It only happened once or twice so it was nothing major. That said, I did enjoy reading this story. I have never read anything by this author so it was a first. I am glad to say I will be reading more of hers when they come out!!

When the book first started I really did not care for either of the parents in the story. They both seemed self centered and not really caring about the other. Ellie, to me, was way to touchy about the children. By the time I read a little more I saw things from her point of view and why she felt that way. I really liked Matthew and the way the author portrays his thoughts and feelings.

Another reason I really liked this book was that the author incorporated some of her family history into these books. That to me was really neat! You should definitely buy this book at your nearest bookstore.

Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

3 comments:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Great review and books, thanks,

Bill ;-)

billsmith2003 (at) gmail (dot) com

Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/03/book-giveaway-back-to-homeplace.html
http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

I would love to win and read this book.
Please enter me.

cenya2 at hotmail dot com

Ann Shorey said...

Thank you for the great review of The Promise of Morning! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story.
Blessings,
Ann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...