Monday, June 13, 2011

Idaho Brides by Erica Vetsch Book Review

WooHoo!! Talk about a romp through the old west:) I feel like I just returned from a trip to Idaho. Needless to say, I just came back from the pages of a new book, Idaho Brides by Erica Vetsch. Let me get you in on the details of this book and I will tell you more about my thoughts below:)

Experience the Wild West through the eyes of the three McConnell brothers who long to overcome their troubled childhood as drunkard’s sons. Can Alec show that he’s worthy of the ranch boss’s daughter? Can Trace help a distraught woman trust again? Will Cal prove his innocence to a U. S. Marshal in disguise? Will they each find a woman with whom they can trust their tender hearts?

I love historical books! I am sure you all know that. But sometimes they tend to be on the corny side. I am always looking for more and when this one showed up as coming out soon, I knew I had to try it! Idaho Brides is a 3-in-1 about three brothers. They have a bad reputation in town because of their father, who happens to be the town drunk. It also didn't help that they got in trouble when they were younger and were put in jail because of stealing. But, a family in the area stepped in to help them out and they were totally changed because of this! I don't want to give too much away as there is a mystery aspect to this book as well but I want to give you my two cents about it. There is a subplot to each book and then a mystery that spans all three stories.

I had a hard time picking a favorite character. The McConnell men are very appealing and masculine. I liked that about them and that they had depth of character. I know, it is the old west when men were men, but it is not always seen in books set in that time period. Not so with these ones! They stood up for what was right and stayed strong in their path. I think my favorite would be Trace. The quiet yet strong one.

All three of these stories deal with guilt and how you take care of it. The first story about Alec really hit home with how guilt can make us not feel worthy. He does not feel worthy to court Clara, even though they both like each other and she is turning to another person. There is a point to what he thinks but at the same time, I think he clung to his belief for too long and didn't think of who he had become.

The second book deals with Trace and Lily. I really liked Trace's attitude throughout this story. He wanted to take care of Lily throughout it and even when she went against what he said, he heard out her part of the story, even though he almost lost his temper:) Lily was not my favorite female character but I liked her more than Maggie in the last story. I guess my favorite would be Clara.

The last story is about Cal and Maggie. Maggie is undercover as a Marshall and Trace knows, but Cal does not. I love how Cal and Maggie first meet! Hilariously funny!! Cal is somewhat shown as a flirt but once you really see what is going on(explained near the end of the story) it is really funny! I had a hard time with the deception in this book but at the same time I see why it was needed. Can't have everyone blabbin' about the female Marshall trying to find the robbers:) In this book Georgia is quite a character. She is in all of the stories and you can't help but like her.

I came away from this book realizing a couple things. One is that, even though someone has a past, they can have a different future. If they have come to know the Lord, he can change them into a new person. And the second thing is that many people carry guilt and we can help them. Clara had no problem with the person that Alec had become but it took him a while to see that he was different. He was very bitter and this did not help either. But each of the McConnell men had different things they struggled with. But in the end, they were changed men and served God.

Overall, I LOVED this book!! I am sure you can see why I felt like I was in the Old West:) It was a well-written book and it flowed like you wouldn't believe. The characters really came alive through the pages and I was sad to see them go. Great book by Erica Vetsch!

This book is available through the publisher or through Amazon. If you are looking for a great historical book that is well-written, check this one out! You won't be let down:)

Thank you to the publisher who sent me a copy of this book for review. I did not receive any monetary compensation but was able to keep the book. All thoughts are 100% mine.

2 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

Thank you so much for reviewing my book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

Josiah said...

I like western novels so this might be a good read someday. I'll have to try and find it somewhere

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...